Write On!

In previous posts, I've talked about writer's block and being stuck in The Swamp, as I call it - the place where the words don't come, nothing makes sense, your characters aren't cooperating and doom and gloom rule.

Fortunately, you can make your way out of The Swamp by sheer grit and perseverance. If you're lucky, you may even find yourself in The Magical Forest of Bliss! This lovely place is where everything, I mean EVERYTHING works, you're having an amazing amount of fun and your novel is clicking on all cylinders. So wonderful...

I've been happily gamboling (wait - is that a word? whew, yes it is according to Webster) in The Forest with lavender unicorns and dangling participles for a few weeks now. As I edit and rewrite the now finished first draft of my third novel, ROMEO FAILS, I have often thought of some words written by one of my favorite authors, Dick Francis. He was describing the giddy glee of a character temporarily promoted to his dream job, but it sounds like being in The Magical Forest of Bliss to me: "...great feelings of vigor and good health...running up stairs and singing in the bath and showing all the symptoms of a love affair..." (from BANKER by Dick Francis)

I know it won't last, but that's OK. I have learned that the ups and downs are all part of the process. Perhaps even necessary parts... But you'll have to excuse me now. One of the unicorns has inadvertently poked a participle and now a gerund's getting involved in the fray. Not to mention both the toves and the borogroves are especially slithy today... If you're a writer, I hope you're in the forest, too! And if you're not a writer, hope your Saturday is equally blissful.

"Gerund! Put down that unicorn! Don't make me come over there..."

Comments

Popular Posts