Hey, Good Lookin'...

This will be a rare event - a culinary post from me. Sure, I may mention food from time to time, but this one involves Actual Cooking. First, let me give you the set-up, then a brief excerpt from (wait for it) SHADOW POINT and finally a cherished family recipe for brownies! (which do NOT come out of a box, people!)

For the 99.9% of the world who have not yet read the book, let me set up the excerpt. Madison McPeake (aka Mad) is my protagonist. Katie is her five year old niece. Mad is falling for Alice "Pipe" Piper, who hails from Austin, Texas. In this scene, they have just been sharing a care package of cookies Pipe's mother sent. Here's the excerpt:

Katie came running across to me with a brownie nestled in a bit of pink tissue paper.

"Pipe says this brownie is specially for you, Mad," she said as she handed it over like an ambassador giving me a medal. I looked over her head at Pipe, who was smiling at me so devilishly I actually had to put my hand on Katie's head to steady myself. Ducking out from underneath, she went off to saddle up her trike again and work off some of her sugar high. I took a bite of the homemade brownie - oh my gosh, Sheer Heaven! So good I had to consider dumping Pipe for a second and moving to Austin to pursue her mother instead.

Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 oz bitter chocolate
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
a pinch of salt

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and beat. Melt chocolate and add to mix. Add flour and salt . (plus the nuts, if you so desire) Spread mixture in a buttered 8" square pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Now, drop and give me twenty!

Comments

Popular Posts